Beginning in the Spring of 2017, the Leadership Development Program will be offered over a two-year period with 5 cohorts of up to 10 women in each year. Thanks to financial support from Status of Women Canada, there is no cost to participate in this program. The program is designed to enhance and increase leadership skills and provide opportunities for participants to identify and realize personal goals within the democratic process, either as elected representatives or organizers.
Our first year cohorts are underway, beginning in April 2017 and ending in March 2018. Year 2 cohorts will begin in April 2018.
The program will focus on increasing leadership skills, including collaboration, problem solving, communication, strategic action planning and gender and diversity analysis. The program begins with a 2-day customized version of Winding Path’s leadership development program. This program is designed to challenge and support participants to realize their personal and professional potential.
For our Year 2 Cohorts, following the first 2 days (April-May 2018), and beginning in June 2018, each cohort will meet once a month (excluding July, August, and December), for skills building and strategic action planning. Most meetings will involve a single cohort and last a half day. Two sessions – including collaboration and gender and diversity analysis skills training – will be full days and involve all 5 cohorts together. Participants will have opportunities to identify ways to support other members of their cohort to work towards goal achievement over the course of the year.
Designed for women who:
- are active members of a registered PEI political party, or non-partisan women active in the democratic life of PEI, as elected representatives or organizers
- are interested in increasing or developing leadership skills
- have held a coordination or management role within their political party or have some experience in non-partisan political life in PEI
- want to increase their capacity to take on responsibility within their party or within the democratic life of PEI, either as elected representatives or political organizers
- increased personal and professional effectiveness
- improved communication skills
- increased resiliency and persistence in the face of change and uncertainty
- improved collaboration and problem solving skills
- improved ability to manage stress
- increased understanding of gender and diversity analysis
In each of the two years of the program, there will be 5 cohorts of up to 10 women – one cohort for each of the registered parties in PEI and one for women not associated with a political party. Most meetings will involve only members of your own cohort. There will be a few occasions over the course of the project where all cohorts will come together for skills building or networking.
Each year’s program will launch with a networking opportunity for all cohort members and project partners. The second year launches on March 8, 2018 with a Welcome Reception hosted by project partners PEI Coalition for Women in Government, Winding Path Inc. and Women’s Network PEI, and including both Year 1 and Year 2 cohorts.
Year 2 cohort schedules can be found here:
Each party will select the participants for their own party’s cohort. Contact your party staff or executive for more information. Women wishing to participate in a non-partisan cohort can apply beginning the evening of January 3.
Note: The deadline for application for the Non-Partisan Cohort is February 7, 2018.
This program is delivered as part of the Engaging Island Women in Political Action Project, a partnership of the PEI Coalition for Women in Government, Winding Path Inc. and Women’s Network PEI, with funding from Status of Women Canada. Cohort participants will be invited to engage in other project activities and events, including a Provincial Symposium May 25-26, 2018.